Did you know that Elisha performed far more miracles than any of the other Old Testament prophets, including Elijah?
Plus, another interesting fact I discovered that shows a parallel between the two prophets was that Elisha’s first miracle was identical to Elijah’s last miracle.
Please join me for this third installment in our back-to-school themed series and enjoy the FREE Bible study/journaling printables that are included with each post. This week we will be journaling and studying Elisha.
Character Study: Elisha
Elisha was the son of a farmer, Shaphat, and lived in Abel-meholah. For the most part, the record of his life consists of his supernatural miracles.
Elisha first appears in 1 Kings 19:16. When he was asked to follow Elijah, he went. He was unbelievably obedient and faithful. His name means God is salvation.
- Elisha was a disciple of Elijah.
- Elisha was the son of Shaphat, a farmer.
- Elisha was known as a prophet among the people.
- The sons of the prophets believed that “the spirit of Elijah rests on Elisha.” [ref. 2 Kings 2:15]
Elisha’s 16 Miracles
- Elisha parted the waters of the Jordan River. [ref. 2 Kings 2:14]
NOTE: Elisha’s first miracle was identical to Elijah’s last miracle.
- Elisha purified the water source for Jericho. [ref. 2 Kings 2:18-22]
- Elisha cursed a group of mockers and “then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.” [ref. 2 Kings 2:24]
- Elisha provided water for the army of Israel and success over the Moabites. [ref. 2 Kings 3:16-25]
- Elisha provided the widow oil. [ref. 2 Kings 4:1-7]
- Elisha prophesized that the woman from Shunem would bare a son. [ref. 2 Kings 4:8-17]
- Elisha resurrected the son of the Shunammite woman [2 Kings 4:18-37]
- Elisha purified the poison soup. [ref. 2 Kings 4:38-41]
- Elisha multiplied the loaves of bread. [ref. 2 Kings 4:42-44]
- Elisha healed Naaman. [ref. 2 Kings 5:1-19]
- Elisha cursed Gehazi with skin disease. [ref. 2 Kings 5:25-27]
- Elisha found the lost axe. [2 Kings 6:1-7]
- Elisha captured a band of Aramaeans by striking them blind. [ref. 2 Kings 6:8-23]
- Elisha prophesized relief from the enemy and the famine. [ref. 2 Kings 6:24-7:20]
- Elisha prophesized the death of Ben-Hadad and the rise of Hazael. [ref. 2 Kings 8:7-15]
- Elisha prophesized of Israel’s defeat of King Hazael of Damascus. [ref. 2 Kings 13:14-19]
Elisha’s Bible Study Printables
Each post in this Back-to-School series will include FREE printables, both creative ones and notes, to help you get started with your own study of Elisha.
- A yearbook page including the four Bible characters from this series.
- Elisha’s quick-look about me page
- A handdrawn contemporary portrait of Elisha that you can print or trace in your own Bible
[My 21 year old daughter, Antonette, drew all the characters in this series. You can find her on IG @notthesameasyesterday]
Like we’ve done in the previous two character studies of this series, take the free Bible study printables and begin your own study of Elisha. There is a second page that is a continuation of Elisha’s miracles and also provides room for you to add your own findings. Then, add Elisha’s portrait to your Bible and include any notes you want to remember in the margins.
COMPLETE BACK-TO-SCHOOL SERIES
Week 1: NOAH CREATIVE CHARACTER STUDY: BACK-TO-SCHOOL
Week 2: RUTH CREATIVE CHARACTER STUDY: BACK-TO-SCHOOL
Week 3: ELISHA CREATIVE CHARACTER STUDY: BACK-TO-SCHOOL
Week 4: JONAH CREATIVE CHARACTER STUDY: BACK-TO-SCHOOL
LOOKING FOR THE FREEBIES?
There are four FREE printables that go along with this "journ-udy." Two are fun, creative printables and two are study printables. When you subscribe to His Palette's email tribe below, you'll not only receive these four printables in your inbox, but we will also send tutorials & tips and a FREE creative printable each month. Be blessed and be a blessing!